In 1972, State Center became the beneficiary of Mr. J.G. Gutekunst and his wife, Angie. In a generous will, three farms and a beautiful house and grounds were bequeathed as a city library. The house was built in 1930 as a home for Mr. and Mrs. Gutekunst. John was an attorney and active in city government. Angie was involved in community service and an avid gardener. Their portraits hang in the main room of the library.
In 2017, the library broke ground on a new addition to the facility in order to expand programming space, improve the technology infrastructure and become ADA compliant. The new library opened its doors and was accredited with the State of Iowa in the spring of 2018.